Sunday, September 14, 2014

Summer Reading Blog Response One: Every Day

   Every Day, by David Levithan, was the first book I read this summer. It follows an entity that calls itself "A". This being wakes up every day in a different body, or is forcefully wrenched into a new one at midnight. The book follows the events in A's life when it falls in love with a girl named Rhiannon. This book struck me as the kind of book that a "typical" teenager would enjoy, with teen characters that fall in love but have a hard, stressful relationship. I'm going to be blunt here: Not a good book for me. I can see why others might like this (my mom, for one, loves it), but I just don't like it. The idea of it was mildly interesting, but the way the author used that idea and what he wove around it did not appeal to me practically at all.

   Something important to note is that I don't like books with emotion. I don't mean that I would like a book to have its characters be emotionless robots, but I find too much blatant, sappy emotion to be boring and uncreative. The theme of this book was something that made me think, though. It did a good job at making me think about human nature, and about awareness of other people in our lives. I feel like this book could have been something I liked more had it told a different story. That being said, the story it actually did tell was rather dull to me. A did show good character development, however, which is something that I can give credit to. 

   When it comes down to it, though, the fact of the matter is that I don't like love stories. This book is nothing if not a love story. It was interesting, but it didn't make the cut for me. As I've said before, the concept was ge=reat, and I would have probably liked it a lot more if it had shifted genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment